Wednesday, June 13, 2007

It's Business Time!



Pretty behind on the blog 'cause there's lots of stuff goin' on right now.

First off, Last Thursday we caught the spirited roots-rock duo Two Gallants at the Basement here in the Music City. Adam Stephens and Tyson Vogel gave us a hearty dish of the well-written, wild west rock 'n' roll found on their last album, What the Toll Tells. Highlights included the set opening intro to "Steady Rollin'," with tripped-out, oriental flavoring that invoked images of the opium den scenes from Tombstone. Fontaine's guitar and vocals were searing on numbers like "Seems Like Home to Me" from their new EP, The Scenery of Farewell(released on Saddle Creek on June 17), and crowd favorite, "Las Cruces Jail," on which Edneud illustrated his highly-energetic rhythmic tendencies. Two Gs also debuted tracks from their upcoming LP, one titled "The Country Emo Song." Stuff sounds pretty similar to their current songs live, but that stuff is awesome in my book, so I look forward to the new release.

Check out "Seems Like Home to Me" here.


Tomorrow we head to Bonnaroo. Hee-haw! This will be my third year going to the fest and I really can't say enough good things about it. Heck, I guess I'm really excited to see Manu Chao Radio Bemba Sound System, the Hold Steady, the National, the Black Angels, the White Stripes, Dr. Dog, the Black Keys, Feist, The Whigs, Charlie Louvin, Girl Talk, the Flaming Lips at Midnight, El-P, the Superjam with John Paul Jones, Ben Harper, and ?uestlove, and number of other super duper bands that will be playing. I could really go on and on. Oh and the Silent Disco. If you're reading this and going to Bonnaroo, please go there. I will never forget dancing with 75% of My Morning Jacket two years ago in the ring of happiness that is the Silent Disco. It was the night before their show and I am pretty sure that dancing near me was the reason they rocked so hard the next day. Obviously I am kidding but it was still awesome.

Ok, sorry to nerd out there. Here's some tracks that I can't stop listening to.

The first is by Z.A.K. and lays the lyrics from Clipse's "Mr. Me Too" over the music from Lee Fields' "Honey Dove." It's the equivalent of a cool summertime breeze. It's taken from P4K

The second is "FaFaFa," a funk-infused dance track from Datarock and though most of y'all might know about 'em, I just found out about the Norwegian dance duo from my friend, Rachel. Slow, I know. You can find it on their Myspace page.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I am pee my pants excited to see Flight of the Conchords. Here is a video of those guys performing their song, "Business Time." So awesome.


That's it for now. If I don't post tomorrow, I'll see everybody on Monday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did the guys in two gallants change their names?

Jay said...

nope