Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Wednesday Potpurri

The Drive-By Truckers' new album, Brighter than Creation's Dark, comes out next week on New West Records. Below you'll find the video of a hell-raisin' new cut, "That Man I Shot," from last weekend's Rock show at the 40 Watt in Athens. Patterson Hood says the number is based on a soldier's account of his time in Iraq.

Seems our band has some fans over there and we're always moved by the stories of really fine folks who are sacrificing so much for our privileged existence. The man in That Man I Shot probably doesn't agree with a lot of my viewpoints, but I tried to be true to what he said and how he said it. You don't have to agree with someone to respect them and that seemed to run both ways with us. As a writer, it's not my job to agree or disagree and certainly not to judge. It is my job to be as true to the character's voice as humanly possible and to tell the story accordingly.

The rest of the song by song write up can be found
here.



Rock on. From what I've heard, I can't disagree with the multiple 4 star reviews this album has received so far. With this and the Whigs new one coming out, 1/22 should be a great day for Athens.

Also, remember that tonight, [edit: I'm an idiot. It's tomorrow night.] Yeasayer and MGMT are playing at the 506. Expect a write up on that soon. In addition, be on the lookout for my interview with Hot Chip for American Songwriter. I'll post that as soon as it's finished. Here's my review of their album.

No comments: