Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Sup Pob Sweets



Sub Pop
has two bands right now that I am super excited about. The first is Fleet Foxes, with vocals reminiscent of MMJ, and two other Sub Pop bands--Band of Horses and the Shins. But they aren't resting on these influences. There's gospel, folk, and chamber pop present here, creating breathakingly ethreal songs that wash over you like a hot shower after a long slumber. Whenever I listen to these songs, I feel like Delmar getting baptized in "O Brother Where Art Thou." Or put it this way, if this were a church choir, I would have been twenty minutes early to church when I was seven years old.

Stream--Fleet Foxes

The next is Grand Archives, the new project of Mat Brooke, formerly of Band of Horses. GA sounds like the half-brother to BoH and the grandchild of CSNY--pretty awesome if you ask me. "Torn Blue Foam Couch" features a lovely blend of lush harmonies and ascending instrumentals. It's also probably just as good if not better than most of the songs on Cease to Begin. Brooke and Bridwell sure do know how to write some fucking songs.

Stream--Grand Archives

BTW, Fleet Foxes is opening for another Sub Pop outfit, Blitzen Trapper, on March 23rd at the 506. You can bet your sweet ass I'll be there.

Also, that band I posted the video of rocking Letterman last night will also be at the 506 tomorrow night. The Sammies and Bull City open. Prepare to, in the words of Parker Gispert, rawk your nuts off.

No comments: