Monday, January 14, 2008

The Ocho

Greetings. Happy New Year. Today, let's check out some things that are neat.

1st. Toro y Moi (Chaz Bundick) is streaming tracks from his new album, My Touch, on myspace. This new material draws heavily on the electronic direction he took with his cover of Beach House's "Master of None." Quite different than Woodlands, but still pretty awesome. I really think this kid will make some tidal waves in the Ocho.


B. MGMT was on Letterman last week. That means Hank Sullivant, former multi-instrumentalist for the Whigs, currently shredding a Carolina blue Fender for the Brooklyn-based psych outfit, was also on. Congrats, Hank and MGMT. Word on the Skreet is that Hank has a new solo album. Hopefully we'll have some news on that soon. I'll try to see what I can find out on Wednesday night, when MGMT and Yeasayer will be at the Local 506.

Here's the vid of "Time to Pretend."


III. Gorillavsbear posted the latest Take Away Show from La Blogotheque featuring Alela Diane's "The Rifle." I've loved this song ever since I heard it on Daytrotter, so I'm feeling this.



Have a nice Monday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Just curious, do you know why Hank left the Whigs to be in MGMT? I don't know much about MGMT, as I'm not hip to the music scene, but am from Atlanta and know the Whigs music quite well. Any knowledge as to why Hank left? Thanks!!

Jay said...

From what I've gathered, he just wanted to pursue other options. There was nothing personal with the Whigs, he was just interested in exploring a different type of music.

Anonymous said...

thanks!