Monday, October 8, 2007

Wow, I'm back. / Portugal, The Man


Ok, I've been gone for awhile. But now I'm back and I don't think I'm going anywhere.

First on the platter is Portugal, The Man, a band I was supposed to go see the other night with a buddy of mine. I'm not sure how he met them, but their myspace says they are from Wasilla, Alaska. I must say after listening to some of the tracks from Church Mouth it sounds like that extra daylight up there has done them well. They remind me a lot of another northwestern outfit, Blitzen Trapper, in that their music transcends genre. It's an Alaskan snowball packed with grungy soul, rock, and roots that either wallops you in the face or envelops you in a druggy haze. And there's certainly enough talent here to get past the fact that the lead vocalist sounds like he took lessons from Jack White. Check it out some tracks on their myspace. I recommend "Telling Tellers Tell Me," and "Shade."

Portugal, The Man's Myspace

Also, here's a video of them with the Fall of Troy and Tera Melos jamming on "Tommy" from 2006's Waiter: You Vultures.



Kicking myself I didn't see them live.

No comments: