Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Junior Boys: Where Was My Mind?



Here's some advice I wish I had remembered before the Junior Boys show last Sunday.

BEFORE MAKING PLANS ON THE DAY OF THE SHOW, CALL THE VENUE TO CHECK THE SET TIMES.

You see, the ticket listed Russian Futurists as the opener for Junior Boys, an electronica-loving pop duo from Ontario. So, considering we had so much to do that afternoon before we left for London the next day, we planned on getting to the show 90 minutes after doors--just in time for the JB set. As we walked in, I could hear the synth-pop sounds of So This Is Goodbye's "In the Morning" seeping from the 2nd floor stage. Either they were starting off with a bang, I thought, or we had totally egged. Consider it eggs benedict.

Once we got up the stairs, I began questioning the Junior Boys merch salesman.

"How long have they been playing?"
"For an hour."
"What 'bout Russian Futurists?" I whined, bewildered and somewhat agitated.
"Russian Futurists aren't playing tonight."

My heart sank. We had missed basically the entire show. Luckily, Jeremy Greenspan and Matthew Didemus came back out for one helluva encore performance of STIG's "The Equalizer," and Last Exit's "Under the Sun," providing us with a taste of what JB has to offer live.

Yeah, so next time I will make better plans. This video says a lot about how I felt following my enormous blunder.

No comments: