Thursday, July 31, 2008

Crystal Antlers


I love how some of my favorite bands like Dead Confederate, All the Saints, and Dead Meadow understand that you dont have to flaunt your cock to put the balls back into rock music. Sludging shows a set, too. Another outfit that's on the same page is Crystal Antlers. I'll admit that I am a little late on this Long Beach-based contigency. They've already had the rave Pitchfork review a while back. Once again, it took the Ice Cream Man's rec to get me to really give them a listen. When I hear Jonny Bell's ragged vocals seep through the band's murky sound prism, I picture Atreyu in the Swamp of Sadness, grueling through the mire with that wolf-beast breathing down his neck. Like the flying dog saved him, CA's energy will save you, providing the push to perserve through whatever shit might be bogging you down. Don't wait to listen to this band. Crystal Antlers could tour with any of the other three I mentioned above, as well as a number of others. Here's to hoping that it happens soon, or that they play down south. Come on Fleet Team. I'm looking at you.




And a here's a video of the band performing "The Owl," from their heralded EP, at the Mercury Lounge in NYC. Hot. Damn.



Crystal Antlers - The Owl from Joey Angerone on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HAHA! DOPE! I directed this