Monday, January 29, 2007

America, F*** Yeah!


I'm in Bonn, Germany and I can't get away from the U.S.A. First it's the McDonald's on every corner. Then there's Starbucks. Pizza Hut. Burger King. Then today I turned to the back of the Sueddische Zeitung, a major German newspaper, and what do I find. An article about Tennessee, focused on Nashville--mainly the Grand Ol' Opry! Give me a break. Seriously though, quite interesting to read an article about Music City written from an outsider's perspective. In a description of Broadway, Hatch Show Prints, Robert's Western World, and Legend's Corner got some love, as did the Ryman Auditorium, which the writer, Franz Dobler, hailed as "the old mothership of country music." Right on. Not quite as right on was his stating that Nashville was once "Pilltown," home to "Amphetamine freaks Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings." Why you gotta play like that, Franz? Naw, Dobler does well by Nashville, stating that when it comes down to it, "Nashville is still the country music capital of the world." I think that is a fair assertion.

No comments: